If you find yourself regularly tossing and turning at night, you're not alone: nearly one-third of the general population reports sleep disturbance. Insomnia– difficulty falling asleep, staying asleep, or returning to sleep– is the most common sleep disorder. Insomnia can be caused by numerous factors, including medical conditions, anxiety or depression, lifestyle and food choices, caffeine or alcohol. Whatever the causes, chronic insomnia can leave you irritable, fatigued, and unable to focus or remember details. This can impact your relationships, your performance at work or school, and of course, your body. Losing weight and Improving Overall Health require regular, restful sleep. If you struggle with sleepless nights, you may wish to consult your physician for treatment options. But first, try these tips for beating insomnia and improving overall health.
1. Develop a bedtime routine: A regular, calming bedtime routine helps you wind down and de-stress after a long day, and lets your brain know it's time to sleep. Try a warm bath, a cup of chamomile or peppermint tea, some relaxing music or a book.
2. Kick Caffeine: Caffeine can affect your system for 8-14 hours. Keep an eye on the amount of caffeine you consume (including coffee, tea, energy drinks, sodas, medications and chocolate) and try to avoid caffeine at least 8 hours before bed.
3. Exercise Early: Exercise is a great way to help regulate your sleep and improve sleep quality, but exercising too close to bedtime can keep you awake. Try to get at least 30 minutes of exercise in the morning.
4. Turn off the TV: For some people, the light, noise and distraction of electronics can disrupt sleep cycles. Turn off electronics before bed, and when possible, keep cell phones, TVs and other devices out of the bedroom.
5. Try Supplements: A number of supplements have been shown to help reduce anxiety, promote relaxation, and regulate sleep cycles. These include magnesium, L-Theanine (amino acid in green tea), melatonin, and valerian root.
More questions about sleep and your health and weight loss journey? Contact us.
Taking a multivitamin is a great foundational way to maintain your health. Our Multivitamins contain Magnesium, calcium and green tea extract to help you regulate your well-being.
Multivitamins for Adult Men
Multivitamins for Adult Women