Toxins enter the body from all around us - air, water and food, as well as chemicals that are in everything from clothing to cleaning products; they're almost impossible to avoid. There are somewhere between 23,000 – 35,000 chemicals in commercial use in Canada and hundreds of new compounds are being introduced annually.
According to Nelson Narciso, DNM®, this environmental ‘chemical burden’ can be put enormous strain on our bodies, including:
- Causing cancer
- Impact reproduction and the development of children
- Disrupting our hormonal balance
- Lead to respiratory illness
A natural detox is an excellent way to lessen the impact of environmental toxins. Simply put, “to detox” is to strengthen and support the body’s own existing detoxification systems. The good news is that there are plenty of ways to detox naturally. Let's look at eight things you can do every day to cleanse your body.
8 Simple Steps for a Natural Detox
- Water helps to flush toxins from the body; water with lemon is even better. It's recommended that everyone should sip their way through at least two quarts of water every day.
- Buy organic foods to lessen the amount of pesticides and other chemicals you ingest. Here’s a list of foods that are particularly “clean” or problematic. (link to clean fifteen article.)
- Eat a diet rich in fibre, like fresh organic vegetables and fruits. Some veggies pack an extra detoxifying punch, like broccoli, seaweed, radishes, cabbage and artichokes. Replace white rice with organic brown rice.
- Herbal teas like green tea, dandelion tea and milk thistle tea can help cleanse the liver.
- Saunas and detox foot spas help you shed toxins through your pores.
- Certain spices like turmeric, curry, cumin and rosemary help to cleanse the liver.
- Try a juice cleanse for between one and three days at a time. It's best to use organic, fresh fruits that you juice yourself rather than bottled juices; among the best fruits and veggies to use include apples, cranberries, pineapples, carrots, beets and spinach.
- Supplement added nutrients from a high quality multivitamin, green foods supplement or antioxidant supplement. If time or convenience is an issue, try an all in one formula that combines multiple benefits into one.