When it comes to food with brownish hues, like mushrooms and wakame, the nutritional benefits are robust and plentiful. They contain "fucoxanthin," which is a carotenoid that gives these vegetables their colour. The health benefits are are just as plentiful: strong and healthy blood glucose levels. Try this recipe to add more brown vegetables and VegeGreens into your diet!
Seaweed and Mushroom Salad with Spicy Green Dressing
Ingredients:45g dried wakame seaweed
2 cups mixed mushroom, diced
1 clove of garlic, finely chopped
1 tbsp black sesame seeds
1 handful of cilantro leaves
250g firm tofu, cut into 2cm chunks
Neutral oil, for frying
1 cup tahini.
1/2 cup water.
Juice of 2 lemons.
2 tbsp olive oil.
2 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
1/2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped.
1 scoop of VegeGreens, original
Hot Sauce, to taste (optional)
- Heat a kettle until just warm. Place wakame in a bowl and soak until you are ready to assemble
- Heat oil over medium heat in a large skillet. Sauté mushrooms until they have released their water and have browned. Add in garlic and continue cooking for one to two minutes. Remove from pan and transfer to a bowl
- With pan still on medium heat add more oil and tofu. Cook until brown and crisp on all sides
- While tofu is cooking, blend all dressing ingredients together in a blender until creamy. Adjust seasoning and hot sauce as desired.
- When tofu is finished cooking, remove from pan and set aside.
- To assemble your bowls drain water from wakame. Top with mushrooms, tofu, sesame seeds and cilantro.
If you don't get why it says "1 more week of rainbow fun" below, it's because this is a post that's associated with the 8-Week VegeGreens Challenge -- check it out!